“I´d rather dance with you”
Organiser R.A.A.A.M. and Vaba Lava
Can you imagine what Estonia is like in 2036? Are we still known elsewhere as a state with ingenious IT solutions? And what about Russia? Have ecological cosmetic products from Siberia become the biggest Russian export? Maybe oil has been discovered in Estonia by that time? Will Russia still have the same president in 20 years? Maybe Estonia and Russia have moved closer by that time or the other way round? Who knows…
In I’d rather dance with you, the Vienna based Russian choreographer and director Oleg Soulimenko examines the relationship of the two nationalities, Estonians and Russians, today. The performance is based on personal experiences of both Estonian and Russian actors and non-professionals, ordinary people from different walks of life, on their memories of the past and their imagination.
How well do we actually know the people who are living next door to us? Are we able to guess what they are like? Can we read their thoughts? Would we like to satisfy our curiosity? There are so many questions to ask, after all.
The questions the performers ask each other on stage are simple and complicated, political and social, cultural and personal.
- “Where do you prefer to get your news?”
- “And what about weather forecasts?”
- “Who are your best friends and deadly enemies?”
- “Do you party at night or rather stay home and read a book on weekends?”
- “What is the dream you cherish the most?”
- “You must have a dream. Tell me…”
- “I invite you to dance with me and I hope you accept.”
Premier on 1 October 2016 at the Vaba Lava venue.
Performances on 2, 3 and 4 October and on 9 and 10 November.
Guest performances in Tartu on 12 and 13 November.
Artist´s talk after the second performance on 2 October.
- Director / choreographer Oleg Soulimenko (Vienna / Moscow)
- Dramaturg Piret Jaaks (Tallinn)
- Assistant dramaturg Thomas Frank (Leipzig)
- Video design Taavi “Miisu” Varm (Tallinn)
- Scenic design Liina Keevallik (Tallinn / Paris)
- Lightning design Priidu Adlas
- Sound design DJ Aleksei Semenihhin a.k.a DJ Bandit (Tallinn)
- Assistant choreographer Jasmin Hoffer (Vienna)
- Technical support Margus Terasmees and Siim Soop
- Project manager Kaie Olmre (Tallinn)
- Producer Märt Meos (Tallinn)
- Co-production by R.A.A.A.M. ja Vaba Lava
- Supported by the Austrian Federal Chancellery
Cast: Nikolai Bentsler, Mari-Liis Lill, Gerli Rosenfeld, Anastassija Kurtšikova, Marina Gromova and Uno Trumm